Welcome to the Newburyport Youth Soccer Association (NYSA) home page
NYSA is a non-profit athletic community whose mission is to enrich the physical and mental lives of kids through the sport of soccer. Founded in 1980, each year NYSA provides over 1000 young players in our community the opportunity to play and enjoy the game of soccer. By ensuring that they learn, compete, and have fun, players will learn valuable physical and social skills that will assist them in life on and off the field. On this site you should be able to find everything you need to know about NYSA from team schedules and player registration, to how you can help by volunteering your time. We continue to update the site regularly, so please remember to add a bookmark and visit often.
Registration is now open for U12 (Grade 5/6), U14 (Grade 7/8) and U18 (Grades 9-12) players for the Fall 2018 NYSA Travel Soccer Program with ECYSA. Tryouts/Evaluations for the Fall 2018 are still in the process of being scheduled. All players who intend to participate in tryouts MUST be registered prior to attending tryouts. More information regarding the dates and locations of tryouts will be available shortly.
Register at www.newburyportsoccer.com. On left sidebar “Register online” and scroll down to the register for U12/U14/U18 age groups by gender.
Please note, ECYSA moved from an age-based eligibility system to grade-based system – see chart below.
Date of Birth Requirements
Born On or After
Grade 5/6 (Formerly U12)
6th Grade or Lower
Grade 7/8 (Formerly U14)
8th Grade or Lower
Team Formation: Evaluations are not held for the Spring season. Teams generally remain intact from Fall to Spring. But, please be advised, there are circumstances where some changes need to be made as a result of trying to find more appropriate grouping, or, as is more often the case, due to changes in enrollment numbers. Our team sizes need to be balanced, and that may require moving some players around. Please be prepared to explain this to your child, should their team be affected in this way. We work diligently to provide the best solution for all children involved, our primary goal is to provide children the ability to further develop their skill in a safe environment with their peers.
Competition: Team placement is determined by ECYSA based on many factors. Typically, teams are more appropriately placed in the Spring as the league has team history from the Fall to work with.
Participation: It is expected that your child will attend at least half of the games and practices in the Spring season in order to participate in the tournament at the end of the year (should they qualify). If children are continually missing practices and games, their playing time may be adjusted at the coaches’ discretion. We understand there are conflicts and overlaps during the season and want to acknowledge those that have made a commitment to the team. We hope that your child can alternate attendance when necessary. Injuries or illnesses are excluded from participation requirements.
Program Fee: $130.
Refunds: NYSA does not issue refunds, please make sure your child is able to play before registering – and this is also the case if they are not happy with their team placements, should they change.
Space: Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis contingent on the resident requirement. Children who live in Newburyport are given registration preference within the published registration period, children who attend school in Newburyport are given secondary preference. If a child is wait listed due to a program being full, registration fees will not be due until a spot on a team is confirmed. We do our best to accommodate all those that wish to participate.
Should you have any questions about NYSA's Travel program, please contact:
In an effort to keep our soccer players on the field and to prevent any further increase in teenage soccer injuries, OrthoWell Physical Therapy in Newburyport has put together instructional videos for a warm-up program. One video is a step-by-step instruction video for both coaches and for players. The other video is a follow-along exercise video that takes the player through the 10 minute warm-up program...from start to finish. Listen to your favorite music while following along. The program can be done alone or, even better, as a team.
Reminder:TOTS,U6,U8&U10 Spring 2018 Ends 1/31/18-Late Fee 2/1/18
NYSA TOTS (U3/U4/U5), U6, U8 & U10 Player Registration for the SPRING 2018 SEASON IS OPEN
SPRING 2018 IN-TOWN Registration OPENS: NOVEMBER 29, 2017
SPRING 2018 IN-TOWN Registration CLOSES: JANUARY 31, 2018
***Please note that a $40 late fee will be automatically applied to all late registrations beginning FEBRUARY 1, 2018.***
Registration programs for each division are located below. Please note the following important information:
Intown Soccer (Tots (U4/U5), U6, U8, U10) is open to children who are between the ages of 3 and 9. Age cut off dates for the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 seasons are as follows:
TOTS U3/U4: Born on or after 09/01/13 through 08/31/14
TOTS U4/U5: Born on or after 09/01/12 through 08/31/13
U6: Born on or after 09/01/11 through 08/31/12 (or entering Kindergarten when registering for the Fall soccer season or enrolled in Kindergarten when registering for the Spring soccer season).
U8: Born on or after 09/01/09 through 08/31/11 (or entering in 1st or 2nd grade when registering for the Fall soccer season or enrolled in 1st or 2nd grade when registering for the Spring soccer season).
U10: Born on or after 08/01/07 through 08/31/09 (or entering in 3rd or 4th grade when registering for the Fall soccer season or enrolled in 3rd or 4th grade when registering for the Spring soccer season).
Please read the following information prior to registering your child for any Fall or Spring season with NYSA:
1. NYSA DOES NOT ISSUE REFUNDS. Please make certain that you want to commit yourself and your child to soccer prior to completing the online registration form.
2. SPACE IS LIMITED. Registration for any particular age group during any particular season is on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS and programs may fill up prior to the registration close date. The player may be waitlisted in the event that a particular age group becomes full prior to the end of registration. In the event that the player must be registered for the waitlist for a particular age group, payment for their registration fee will not be required until the parent or guardian is notified via email that a space has become available to place the player on a team.
3. NON-RESIDENTS: All players who do not live within the City of Newburyport are required to pay a $10.00 Non-Resident Fee. This fee will be applied during the registration payment process.
4. REGISTRATIONS DELETED FOR NON-PAYMENT. The player's registration for any particular season will be deleted should the registration fee remain unpaid after (7) days of registering the player online. In the event that the player is deleted from NYSA's online system for a particular season due to nonpayment of the registration fee, the player must re-register during the open registration period. If the program has become full, the player will be waitlisted.
5. PARENTS MUST VERIFY REGISTRATION IS CORRECT. It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to verify the accuracy of the player's stated birth date on his/her registration and ensure that the player is registered for the correct age/gender group. If the player is registered in the wrong age/gender group at the time of registration and the correct program becomes full before this error is corrected, please note that the player will be waitlisted for that program and only placed if a space becomes available on a team.
6. TEAM FORMATION.New teams are created each Fall season and typically roll over to the following Spring season. However,
new teams may be created in the Spring season due to changes in enrollment levels. Please be prepared to explain this to your child, should their team be affected in this way. Please also note the policy of the league is to not take requests from parents for team placement, and we kindly ask that you please refrain from doing so. With over a 1,000 kids playing in the league each season, our volunteer coordinators can not be expected to accommodate these requests and should not be or feel pressured to do so. We work diligently to provide the best solution for all children involved, and our primary goal is to provide children the ability to further develop their skills in a safe environment with their peers.
7. GAME SCHEDULE:U6, U8 & U10 Games are played on Saturdays (Tots Clinic Players DO NOT play games on Saturdays).The hours range from 8:00 a.m. to 8 p.m. Please note the following game schedule below for the SPRING 2018 season:
8. TOTS CLINIC SCHEDULES - SPRING 2018:
2018 SPRING Tots 6-Week Clinic-TUESDAY Tots Age 4/5 Pre-K:
Age Requirement: Player MUST be Age 4 by 8/31/2017 to participate.
Program Duration: 6 Weeks - beginning TBD and ending on TBD
When: 4:00 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Where: CHERRY HILL FIELD
2018 SPRING Tots 6-Week Clinic-WEDNESDAY Tots Age 4/5 Pre-K Age Requirement: Player MUST be Age 4 by 8/31/2017 to participate. Day: WEDNESDAY Program Duration: 6 Weeks - beginning TBD and ending on TBD When: 4:00 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Where: CHERRY HILL FIELD
2018 SPRING Tots 6-Week Clinic-THURSDAY Tots Age 3/4 Preschool:
Age Requirement: Player MUST be Age 3 by 8/31/2017 to participate. Day: THURSDAY Program Duration: 6 Weeks - beginning TBD and ending on TBD When: 4:00 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Where: CHERRY HILL FIELD
9. WEEKLY TEAM PRACTICES InTown: Practices for U6 Boys and Girls will be held at Cherry Hill from 5:15-6:00 p.m. on Tuesdays (Girls) and Wednesdays (Boys). Practices for all older divisions (U8 and U10) will be held once (1x) per week for U8 and once (1x) to twice (2x) per week for U10 in Newburyport.**
Travel: U12 and U14 will practice at least once per week in Newburyport.
**The specific times for the weekly practices in Newburyport for U8-U18 are determined by the coaches of each team based on their schedules and can be held any time between 4:00pm-7:30pm Mondays through Fridays. Please note that the league will not issue refunds for players who have a conflict with their teams' designated practice times, nor will the league switch players to another team based on practice time conflicts.
10. ELIGIBILITY FOR INTOWN PROGRAMS DOES NOT CHANGE FALL TO SPRING -- date of birth cutoffs are set based on the player's age during the Fall season. This includes players who paricipate in the Tots program.
11. UNIFORMS: Uniforms (shirt and socks) are not part of the registration fee and can be purchased at Amesbury Skate and Sport. The current uniforms are reversible (Maroon and Gold) and the cost is approximately $45. These uniforms are designed to last through several seasons if care is taken. Information and directions on how to get to Amesbury Skate and Sport can be found at the following link. http://www.amesburysport.com/.
***TOTS players are not required to wear NYSA shirts and socks, but parents are more than welcome to let them wear them if they fit.***
12. EQUIPMENT: ALL children participating in an NYSA program are required to have the following basic equipment:
• Shin pads are a MUST!
• Soccer shoes with rubber cleats (no metal), cleats cannot have a center "toe" cleat (i.e., most baseball cleats have one).
• Regulation soccer ball. The size of the ball depends upon your child's age group. We suggest that each player have a stitched ball (as opposed to a hard seamless ball) of proper size. Soccer balls come in 3 different sizes: 3, 4, & 5. The ball size is shown on the ball. Also, look for a stamp that says either "official size & weight" or "FIFA Approved". Even if a ball is the official weight, some balls are heavier & harder thanothers. Don't get a ball that is too heavy or hard (some seamless balls are especially hard). Some balls are so hard that it is painful to kick them. If you have a choice, a shiny, waterproof surface is best because it won't absorb water & will last longer. Test the ball to see if it's round & will fly straight by tossing it into the air with a lot of spin on it to see if it wobbles. U-6 & U-8 (i.e., Under-6 & Under-8) use a size 3; U-10 & U-12 use a size 4; and U-13 & older use a size 5 ball).
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE U10 GIRLS PROGRAM: Please contact our U10 Girls Coordinator: Jon Homer (email@example.com)
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE U10 BOYS PROGRAM: Please contact our U10 Boys Coordinator: TBD ***Please contact Matt McDermott () in the interim until we find a volunteer for this age group.***
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE U8 GIRLS PROGRAM: Please contact our U8 Girls Coordinator: Julie Christie-Padden ()
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE U8 BOYS PROGRAM: Please contact our U8 Boys Coordinator: KatcherWittner
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE U6 GIRLS PROGRAM: Please contact our U6 Girls Coordinator: TBD ***Please contact Matt McDermott () in the interim until we find a volunteer for this age group.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE U6 BOYS PROGRAM: Please contact our U6 Boys Coordinator: Suzi MacDonald ()
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE TOTS U3/U4 CO-ED PROGRAM:Please contact:
Tots Age 4/5 Coordinator (Wednesdays) - Matt McDermott ()
Tots Age 4/5 Coordinator (Tuesdays) - Matt McDermott ()
Tots Age 3/4 Coordinator (Thursdays) - Matt McDermott ()
Please visit "Hints on Registration" under the "Help/How To" tab on the left hand side of the website homepage and/or email the Registration Director if you have questions regarding the registration process. Contact information is listed under the "Contacts" button on the left side of the website as well as below.