NEWBURYPORT YOUTH SOCCER ASSOCIATION
Players Age 3-9: Newburyport Youth Soccer Association (NYSA) is a non-profit athletic community whose mission is to enrich the physical and mental lives of kides through the sport of soccer. Our younger divisions are made up of the four age-based programs listed below:
Intown Soccer (Tots (U4/U5), U6, U8, U10) is open to children who are between the ages of 3 and 9. Age cut off dates for the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 seasons are as follows:
- TOTS U3/U4: Born on or after 09/01/13 through 08/31/14
- TOTS U4/U5: Born on or after 09/01/12 through 08/31/13
- U6: Born on or after 09/01/11 through 08/31/12 (or entering Kindergarten when registering for the Fall soccer season or enrolled in Kindergarten when registering for the Spring soccer season).
- U8: Born on or after 09/01/09 through 08/31/11 (or entering in 1st or 2nd grade when registering for the Fall soccer season or enrolled in 1st or 2nd grade when registering for the Spring soccer season).
- U10: Born on or after 08/01/07 through 08/31/09 (or entering in 3rd or 4th grade when registering for the Fall soccer season or enrolled in 3rd or 4th grade when registering for the Spring soccer season).
Seasons: NYSA has two seasons: Fall and Spring. The Fall season starts at the beginning of September and runs through the beginning of November; the Spring season starts in April and runs through the middle of June. During both seasons games are played on Saturdays and the hours range from 8:00 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Fields: Currently there are three Newburyport field locations, Cherry Hill, Cashman and Woodman Park. The U10 teams "travel" to Groveland, West Newbury and Merrimac for games. Field location and directions can be found on the “field and directions” tab. Specific field detail can be found under the “documents” tab.
Practices for U6 Boys and Girls will be held at Cherry Hill from 5:15-6:00 p.m. on Tuesdays (Girls) and Wednesdays (Boys).
Practices for all older divisions (U8 and U10) will be held once (1x) per week for U8 and once (1x) to twice (2x) per week for U10 in Newburyport. The specific times for the weekly practices in Newburyport for U8 and U10 are determined by the coaches of each team based on their schedules and can be held any time between 4:00pm-7:30pm Mondays through Fridays. Please note that the league will not issue refunds for players who have a conflict with their teams' designated practice times, nor will the league switch players to another team based on practice time conflicts.
Fees: Fees for the season are $70.00 per player for U6, $90.00 per player for U8 and $100.00 per player for U10. The TOTS Six (6) Week Clinic is $70 per player. Non-Newburyport Residents are assessed an additional $10.00 fee to participate.
Team Formation: New teams are created each Fall season and typically roll over to the following Spring season. However, new teams may be created in the Spring season due to changes in enrollment levels. Please be prepared to explain this to your child, should their team be affected in this way. Please also note the policy of the league is to not take requests from parents for team placement, and we kindly ask that you please refrain from doing so. With over a 1,000 kids playing in the league each season, our volunteer coordinators can not be expected to accommodate these requests and should not be or feel pressured to do so. We work diligently to provide the best solution for all children involved, and our primary goal is to provide children the ability to further develop their skills in a safe environment with their peers.
Uniforms: Uniforms (shirt and socks) are not part of the registration fee and can be purchased at Amesbury Skate and Sport. The current uniforms are reversible (Maroon and Gold) and are designed to last through several seasons if care is taken.
Please follow the instructions below for obtaining a uniform from Amesbury Skate & Sport
Information and directions on how to get to Amesbury Skate and Sport can be found at the following link. http://www.amesburysport.com/.
- Retail Store is now closed but the Uniform / Team business is now operating from the basement at the old Amesbury Skate & Sport at the same address of 77 Macy St. – Rte. 110. (the same location as store, just in the basement)
- Signage in Parking lot will lead you to basement access to the far left of original store entrance.
- Travel Uniforms are $30.00 for Shirt and $15.00 for Shorts
- Reversible In-Town Shirts are $3500 – Optional Shorts are $15.00
- Socks are $5.00
- As always, purchase items big allowing for multi-year use.
- Spring 2018 Uniform Hours - TBD
- Contact Information: Rob Ouellette - Amesbury Skate & Sport. Tel Numbers: 978-388-4544 (Store); 508-783-6072 (Cell). Email:
TOTS players are not required to wear NYSA shirts and socks, but parents are more than welcome to let them wear them if they fit.
Equipment: ALL children participating in an NYSA program are required to have the following basic equipment:
• Shin pads are a MUST!
• Soccer shoes with rubber cleats (no metal), cleats cannot have a center "toe" cleat (i.e., most baseball cleats have one).
• Regulation soccer ball. The size of the ball depends upon your child's age group. We suggest that each player have a stitched ball (as opposed to a hard seamless ball) of proper size. Soccer balls come in 3 different sizes: 3, 4, & 5. The ball size is shown on the ball. Also, look for a stamp that says either "official size & weight" or "FIFA Approved". Even if a ball is the official weight, some balls are heavier & harder than others. Don't get a ball that is too heavy or hard (some seamless balls are especially hard). Some balls are so hard that it is painful to kick them. If you have a choice, a shiny, waterproof surface is best because it won't absorb water & will last longer. Test the ball to see if it's round & will fly straight by tossing it into the air with a lot of spin on it to see if it wobbles. U-6 & U-8 (i.e., Under-6 & Under-8) use a size 3; U-10 & U-12 use a size 4; and U-13 & older use a size 5 ball).
• Water bottles at practice AND at games are also a MUST!
Registration: You can register your player online HERE.